It’s hard to believe 2013 is over so soon! Working as we do, in seasons, it’s easy to lose track of the time (we just completed our Early Cruise 2015 collection). As we set out our sparklers and noisemakers for tonight’s festivities (Happy New Year to those of you in parts of the world where the clock has already struck midnight!), we look back fondly at some of the highlights this year has brought. In no particular order:
1. “Royals” by 16-year old pop newcomer Lorde is an international smash hit and the song of 2013
2. Speaking of royals, Will and Kate have a baby: a boy named George
3. The long-awaited Baz Luhrmann adaptation of The Great Gatsby hits the silver screen and turns it gold
4. Human rights icon Nelson Mandela passes away at 95
5. Jennifer Lawrence becomes one of the youngest winners of the “Best Actress” Oscar after her performance in Silver Linings Playbook
6. Lululemon issues a recall for allegedly sheer yoga pants (followed by controversial words from the company’s CEO months later)
7. Punk gets its moment at the Met Costume Institute’s annual exhibit and gala
8. “Selfie” is named “2013 Word of the Year” by Oxford Dictionaries
9. Regardless of how you felt about it, Miley Cyrus couldn’t keep out of the headlines this year, from racy videos to red carpet eyebrow-raisers…
10. Beyoncé shows off her post-Blue figure on the cover of Shape in April (wearing a Karla Colletto suit!)
11. Starlet and synchronized swimming pioneer Esther Williams passes away at 91
12. Motivational messages from Kid President go viral
13. The Karla Colletto world comes to life in a Cruise 2014 fashion film
14. Marc Jacobs announces he is stepping down as creative director of Louis Vuitton after 16 years
15. Michelle Obama debuts new bangs in time for the Inauguration
As with each coming new year, we look forward to a promising 2014: a new round of awards shows and fashion weeks, big blockbuster remakes and sequels… the Sochi Winter Olympics will kick off soon… and who knows what other surprises this year has in store… From all of us at Karla Colletto, cheers to an amazing 2014!
If you live in our neck of the woods (that is to say, the DC Metropolitan area/Northern Virginia) take a break from your holiday shopping on Saturday, December 7th and stop in to the Everything But Water store at Tysons Corner Center for a special grand opening event. Come celebrate in style with Karla and take home something from our Cruise 2014 collection!
Here’s a peek behind the scenes at our Cruise 2014 catalog and video shoot at the Parker Hotel in Palm Springs, California last June. Not the most popular time of year to be in the California desert (can you even tell that it was 110 degrees while we were shooting?) Thanks to all the crew who helped us out and special thanks to the Parker for being so accommodating during our stay. (Photo credit: Wiola Marek, Pum Lefebure, Kim Thornton)
Follow us on Instagram @karlacolletto for behind-the-scenes, recent press,
and photos from the Karla Colletto archives! (And an inspirational quote here and there)
It’s November!! Tortoise, Patent, and Contrast groups are starting to ship out! View the collection tab to see what styles might be coming soon to a store near you!
Cruise season is in full swing and chances are that you need a new suit! Here are some trunk show events to mark on your calendar if you’re in Chicago or Long Island next weekend! Purchase a Karla Colletto suit at either of these events and receive a free gift with purchase. You may also place special orders on your favorite styles from the Cruise 2014 collection.
Friday, November 8, 2013 –
Saturday, November 9, 2013
11-5pm (both days)
190 Mineola Avenue
Roslyn Heights, NY
Thursday, November 14, 2013 –
Saturday, November 16, 2013 **NEW DATES**
Intimacy of Chicago
900 N. Michigan Avenue
As you may have already guessed from our Pinterest board, we love Cape Cod. And what could be better to accompany the breathtaking New England scenery than a few of those famous Wellfleet oysters! Over the weekend, the town of Wellfleet gathered for its 13th annual Wellfleet OysterFest, a fun-filled event complete with a 5K race, local artisan fair, and even a shucking contest! And plenty of raw bars to go around, of course. Learned a few things about oysters too.
Did you know?
…Oysters are often thought to be an aphrodisiac, though there is no scientific evidence to support this. Oysters do, however, contain other vitamins like zinc, B12, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
…Oysters must be kept alive up until they are ready to be served. Submerging them in water–saltwater or freshwater–will kill them. If they die before they are prepared, they will not be safe to eat.
…Wellfleet has been an oyster center for over 400 years. After a depletion crisis in the 1800s, Aquaculture was introduced to help regulate overfishing and to maintain healthy oyster populations throughout the area.
…Recycling oyster shells is encouraged. These shells are then deposited back into the water where they will form oyster reefs. These reefs will in turn become habitats for many organisms (including barnacles, algae, and oysters) and can promote a healthy oyster population.